Monday, November 26, 2012

An Un-Filtered Flog

Read between courses to cleanse the pallet and aid in digestion:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

In 1966 a new law required the tobacco industry to caution Americans with this disclaimer: “Cigarette Smoking may be hazardous to your health.” In 1970 the words were changed to: “The SURGEON GENERAL has determined that cigarette smoking is dangerous to your health.”   The Surgeon General was William H. Steward. He lived to the age of 86, and no he didn’t die from lung cancer, but complications from kidney failure.  Which probably made him wish he hadn't bothered giving up smoking. 
 
I never smoked.  Not cigarettes.  Not marijuana. Not even salmon. Even if I were still living in the State of Washington, I would not try the newly legalized marijuana. I don’t want to set a bad example for my still impressionable children, now 50 and 47 years old.
I did spend my career in advertising and refused cigarette and liquor accounts because I didn’t want to encourage smoking or drinking.
As the years went by I was required to add more and lengthier disclaimers and disclosures on ads and commercials. Producing a 30-second TV spot or 60-second radio spot with 10 to 20 seconds of disclaimer was like writing this FLOG in 300 words. With no limit on the number of words I can write in this FlOG or an email, I am now making up for the restrictions put on me when I was an ad writer.
This FLOG was obviously inspired by the barrage of politricks commercials which ended (or sometimes started) with, “I’m Barack Obama and I approve this message,” which took the President five seconds to say and Mitt Romney about ten. I timed them.
For those of you who don’t smoke and are still living, I feel compelled to share this disclaimer on Pfizer’s relatively new prescription medicine Chantix, which the drug maker claims;  “along with support, helps adults 18 and over stop smoking.” 
 
IT’S IRONIC THAT THE MAKERS OF CIGARETTES CAN GET AWAY WITH "The Surgeon General has determined the cigarette smoking is dangerous to your health." Apparently, smoking has fewer hazards than the proposed Chantix cure;
 
Yeah, hmmm.  I think I found a better Surgeon General's warning to be required on cigarette packaging; 
 
"The Surgeon General has determined the prescription cures for cigarette smoking are potentially as lethal as cigarette smoking, so just don't."

No comments:

Post a Comment