Friday, March 1, 2013

The New Lexicon (Requestering a Sequestering of the Festering Loophole Pestering)

Many years ago I read two newspaper headlines side by side;
Jone’s Chicken Farm Burglarized
was posted next to Junior Chamber Chicken Fry On Tonight
This morning’s headlines :
Today is the First Day of the Sequester
adjacent to

Sinkhole Swallows House

I was familiar with the words “sequester” and "sinkhole", but had never seen the two intertwined, so I looked them up in my Funk and Wagnall’s.
se·ques·ter (səˈkwestər) is confusing. There is no correlation between the verb and noun. Verb: “Isolate or hide away (someone or something) as in “the artist sequestered himself in his studio for two years.”

Noun: “A general cut in government spending.” The verb could be “the taxpayers voted to sequester the House of Representatives in a sinkhole for two years.”
Synonyms
Verb.  
Segregate - sequestrate - seize - isolate - impound - insulate
 
I was pleased to hear that due to the sequestration, Joe Biden intends to put Air Force II in the hanger and take the train.  Then I wondered, does Joe Biden go anywhere?

To add insulation to injury, Mean Eileen is sequestering my keyboard (I assume, until the sequester is resolved). 

Is dis ambiguous?


No comments:

Post a Comment