Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Slippery Snope

The whole thing started this morning when I was going to work on my golf manuscript and I made the mistake of opening the Monday morning email.

FOREWORD:

GARDEN SNAKES CAN BE DANGEROUS

I read it. Laughed a lot. Then went to www.snopes.com (sort of an online urban legends Mythbusters) to see if this very good website had anything to say.

The headline on Snopes read: THE HIND-LICK MANEUVER … maybe funnier than the story.   I couldn’t resist republishing the cartoon:
In the middle of the site page, Snopes informed me that a version of this story appeared in Herb Caen’s column in 1964.  Herbert Eugene "Herb" Caen was one of my favorite columnists … a San Francisco journalist whose daily column of local goings-on and insider gossip, social and political happenings, painful puns and offbeat anecdotes appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle for almost sixty years. (Description compliments of Wikipedia). 

I still don’t know who I’m stealing from, but the story is so funny and I have spent at least 50 cents worth of my valuable time doing research, I’m going with it. Herb Caen died in 1997 and I have no idea what happened to the people from Sweetwater, which bares (bad pun intended) the name of the street that runs adjacent to where I live in snake country.  Apologies to the cartoonist, and to you for his far too detailed cartoon.

And thank you (I think) to my dear friend, Ron Solomon, who's email started this whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment