Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Flogging Jimmy (Hoffa)



Or should it be "Digging Jimmy?"


do you dig me?
(Reuters) - FBI agents in suburban Detroit widened their search of an overgrown field Tuesday for the remains of former Teamsters union boss Jimmy Hoffa, who disappeared nearly 38 years ago and is thought to have been murdered by mobsters.

The search for Hoffa, who was 62 when he disappeared in 1975, has spawned many theories about his final resting place, ranging from under an end zone in Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, to the General Motors Co headquarters in downtown Detroit and the Everglades in Florida.
Investigators have checked thousands of leads over the years. In September 2012, police took a soil sample from behind a private home in Roseville, Michigan, after receiving a tip he might be buried there. 

Wikipedia doesn't remember Jimmy fondly;

Hoffa became involved with organized crime from the early years of his Teamsters work, and this connection continued until his disappearance in 1975. He was convicted of jury tampering, attempted bribery, and fraud in 1964. He was imprisoned in 1967, and sentenced to 13 years, after exhausting the appeal process. 

I, however, do remember Jimmy fondly.  I grew up in Seattle and interviewed Hoffa when I was a high school newspaper reporter.  He couldn't have been nicer to me.  I also knew Dave Beck, who preceded Hoffa as Teamster’s President from 1952 to 1957.  Hoffa was president from 1957 to 1971.  I ran into Beck at a Seahawk football game and tried to ask him a few more questions about Hoffa.  Beck suggested I write to Jimmy and I did.

Ironically, or coincidentally, while digging through old letters today, while the FBI was digging up Michigan, I found this letter of response to my letter sent in 1968 to Jimmy Hoffa:


No comments:

Post a Comment