Tuesday, July 24, 2012

David's Career Path #6,212


Last week I posted a Flog about my recent unimpressive dinner at Chompie’s Deli on Shea.  I’ve been an amateur restaurant critic since the days before eateries provided coloring books and crayons to shut kids up.  I’ve always wanted to turn pro, but I can’t get anyone to pay me (let alone spring for the meal).  The response to my observations is usually something like, “when I want your opinion, I’ll give it to you.”  

But, this is my Flog after all, and damn it, I’m telling it the way I see it.  Or in this case, eat it.

I have developed a very simple rating system. 

·         Mmmmmmm! mmmmahvelous, yummmmm, mmmmoooove me into another position so I can eat mmmore
·         Meh.  it was ok but would it kill management to add a little ________ (insert appropriate  noun or verb)?  
·         M-mm.   I wouldn’t bother coming back
·      

Lest you faithful Flog-ites (both of you) think I only complain about restaurants, let me assure you that is not so.  Case in point: Jasmine Tokyo on Shea Boulevard just west of Scottsdale Road, an Asian restaurant which took over the building that formerly housed the Claim Jumper (they’ve jumped elsewhere).

A couple weeks ago, my daughter Ruth came home raving about the food … quality and quantity … at Jasmine Tokyo.  We actually recently returned from an exciting trip to Tokyo so the name evoked an instant appeal, and we have happily returned several times.

The food, served buffet style, is fabulous and plentiful – the variety is like being at a supermarket.  It’s described as Asian Fusion on their website – I just call it tasty.

The dining room is spacious and quiet enough to have a conversation using your “indoor” voice. 

Best of all, it’s a steal!   Weekday lunches are just $12.  Weekend lunches are $15 and dinner is $22.

I did a little research and found that Jasmine Tokyo is locally owned and opened in December, 2011.  The same group of owners operate Hong Kong Gourmet in Chandler.

I find myself feeling protective of this new treasure – the quantity and quality of food is so good, I don’t know how they can turn a profit at the prices they are currently charging.  My recommendation is to go there, quick!  And if you love it, spread the word.

The Flog Rating:   Mmmmmmmm!!!!!

Jasmine Tokyo Asian Buffet    7000 E Shea Blvd, Scottsdale, AZ  85254    (480) 991-0655

No comments:

Post a Comment